This Sweet Potato Casserole is a very popular dish for the holiday season. Mashed sweet potatoes topped with toasted marshmallows along with a brown sugar streusel. It is nearly that time, buddies. If you are in menu-assembly manner, now’s the opportunity to bring this dish into your listing. This Sweet Potato Casserole is a massive crowd pleaser, and a few of the most popular recipes.
Though the very best thing about this recipe would be your flavor, the 2nd best thing about it’s the simple fact which you are able to prepare it beforehand. Have a look at all of my make-ahead hints together with responses to frequently asked questions. Why is this recipe that the very best? Flavorful sweet lettuce topped with toasted marshmallows along with a brown sugar streusel. Salty and sweet, creamy and crispy — this really is the best side dish to the holiday dinner! It is easy, however the payoff is enormous!
SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE WITH MARSHMALLOWS
This dish is the best means to fulfill the traditionalists who need to possess the marshmallow topping in the sweet potato casserole, yet the streusel adds something extra for people who wish to change things up.
If you have never experienced this dish before, I know that it may sound odd, but trust meit absolutely works! Those toasty-gooey marshmallows truly do create the sweet potatoes taste much better. Additionally, this can be a enjoyable holiday side dish, and nothing says fun like eating marshmallows along with your own dinner.
Just how long you leave in the oven will ascertain just how toasted your marshmallows will probably be. 8-10minutes will provide you lightly toasted marshmallows plus 10-15minutes can make them look younger. Some manufacturers of marshmallows will start melt whenever they are from the oven as long. If you’d like the marshmallows to keep their shape keep a watch on these.
Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows and Streusel
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 3¼ lbs sweet-potatoes
- 2 tbsp unsalted-butter
- ¼ cup milk or half and half
- ½ tsp ground-cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tbsp brown-sugar
- salt, to taste
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- ¼ cup brown-sugar
- ½ tsp ground-cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ½ cup chopped-pecans
- 2-3 cups cups mini-marshmallows or more
- ¼ cup all purpose-flour for a sturdier streusel add & additional heaping tbsp of flour
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 2 or 21/2 quart casserole-dish (rather a rectangle or oval therefore there is an adequate surface area to the batting; I utilize a 8×11) and put aside.
- Put the sweet potatoes into a big kettle, cover with warm water, then boil till tender (about 7minutes, depending upon the dimensions ). Drain well & come back to the-pot. Add milk, butter, cinnamon, brown-sugar & salt into the potatoes and simmer until smooth. Use a hand mixer, even if desirable, to create them extra-smooth. Taste the potatoes & put in extra seasonings, if needed.
- Transfer the mashed berries into the prepared casserole dish. Put in the oven until warmed through (if they are already warm it is only going to take a couple of minutes). While the sweet potatoes are warmth, prepare the topping.
- In a skillet, mix butter, brown-sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt (I use a fork or rubber spatula to stir & mash the mix ), then blend-in-pecans.
- Eliminate the sweet potatoes in the oven. Top with half of the marshmallows, then scatter half of the streusel on the marshmallows (pinching bits with your fingers). Top with the other half the marshmallows & scatter the remaining of the streusel on the top.
- Place back in the oven for about 8-15minutes, until topping is bubbly & golden-brown (keep your eye on it the marshmallows do not burn). You might even put it below the broiler very liberally to bring a bit more colour to marshmallows. Be aware: the more it's from the oven that the more probable the marshmallows will start to melt. Let me sit at room temperature for many minutes prior to serving.
- You can construct the cooked & seasoned mashed sweet-potatoes in a casserole dish & refrigerate tightly covered for 2-Days (without the topping).
- You might even prepare the streusel topping (without the marshmallows) and refrigerate which individually.
- Prior to serving, bring the streusel topping into room temperature. Heat the potatoes (with no topping) from the oven until warmed all of the way through (30 minutes depending on the size of your casserole dish or speed-it together by microwaving). After the potatoes are heated through, scatter the marshmallows and then streusel and then go back to the oven for about 8-15 minutes, until the marshmallows are lightly toasted (broil temporarily for a darker colour).